Thursday, August 23, 2007

Reserves versus Faith Living

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. How much money in savings is too much? How much should we live depending on God? Let me say that I promise you God has exceeded my wildest expectations. I have been blessed in ways I would never have expected. I also know that saving money is a good thing. But I know trusting God is a good thing. So I wrestle with the balance. When I have to depend on God He always comes through. But saving and investing is a good thing too, right? Where is the balance?

3 comments:

HB said...

I sure like a cushion in the bank account. I have this minimum in my mind that I am comfortable with. Right now we are below that minimum. But there is no doubt in my mind that God will provide us with everything that we need. Now, what about saving for retirement? I think it is frugal to save for retirement (do pastors ever retire?), but then again, we don't know how long we're going to live, so would we be better off giving that money away? You can always live off the government when you're old. But should you really plan to live off the government when it is possible to save for retirement now? So many questions... So few answers...

Blake said...

Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on the government to take care of you when you are old, Heather. (stupid baby-boomers and their potential bankruptcy of SS) Anyway, I plan on doing what my parents and friends of the family taught me- at least 10% to the church, 10% in savings and live on the rest. Seems to be working for them.

Dan Borchert said...

Im thinking the goverments retirement plan is not going to work for most people. Blakes 10, 10, 80...that seems like a good place to begin. But I ask my self funny question, how can I make that 80% lower in order to give more?