Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Purpose of Telemarketers

I used to get annoyed when telemarketers kept calling and calling. Now at home I am on a "do not call list." So that has helped. But when I am at the office, it is fare game for those telemarketers to call. So they always used to annoy me. I didn't want to just hang up on them. I didn't want to be rude or obnoxious, but I also didn't want to waste my time with them. What to do, what to do? So I finally figured out the purpose of telemarketers. It is to work on my ability to say "no." Most of you probably get asked to do a lot of things that you have no intention of doing. Now sometimes you might say you are going to do something and just don't do it. Other times you will end up doing something because the other person convinced you to do it. We are told in Scripture to let our "yes" be "yes" and our "no" be "no." So now when a telemarketer calls, I listen to what they have to say. When they ask me if I am interested I say "no." That shocks some telemarketers because they have no idea how to respond to that. Other ones are really good, and they have a counter response ready to go. Then I listen to that and find a way to say "no" again. Make it a game to see how nicely but firmly I can say "no." After a while you almost start looking forward to their calls.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan and Heather. I just wanted to drop in and tell you I found your blog. Good for you for being so consistent with it. I like the idea though. It will be a nice way to keep in touch. I am going to try to post pictures on Heather's email today that I took from Mahaffey. I uploaded the pics today and Ellie said, "Hey, it's my friend"

Have a good day,
Brooke

Anonymous said...

Forget the "I like the idea though" part in my first comment. I deleted a sentence before that and missed a sentence. Oh well..... :-)

BA

HB said...

Hi Brooke,
I'd love to see some pictures of the kids. I actually don't have any pictures of them together at camp. Dan's trying to convince me to blog. I'm saying, what would I blog about? My kid had a runny nose today? =) But seriously, when you guys come up to visit, if you need a vehicle, please ask. We usually have an extra one or two sitting around...
Heather