Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Prayer and talking to your friends

How many of you talk to your friends in a "formal" manner? I know I don't. Not even close. One of my strengths/weaknesses is that I am a very casual person. My dress is casual (shorts and a t-shirt please). My language is casual. I am just a casual person. What bugs a lot of people about me, is that I am casual. There is not a "professional" side to me.
Now you are looking at the title and thinking "what does this have to do with prayer?" If I am that type of casual person, why should I "pretend" to be all formal when I pray. "Oh Dearest God, Grant me thou daily provision for today's journey amongst this earth you have created." What does that mean? Instead, why not say it in a way that makes sense to the ultra casual person that I am. "Dear God, get me through the day" Now that makes sense. I understand that. I like to laugh, so what makes us think that God doesn't like to laugh? After all, the laughter that I enjoy comes directly from God in the first place, right? Sometimes, you don't even have to "say" anything. Every so often my wife will make a "sigh" like sound that tells me she is content. That everything is good, that she is happy, that she is enjoying being with me. Now she would never say all of that. The simple "sigh" says it all. Now, rest assured, I get other type of "sighs" too. Those are the ones that express thoughts such as "I am not too happy about that" or "I don't like what you are doing" or "You make me so crazy." Now if those are valid forms of communication with people, why not try using them to communicate with God?
If you are a person who is finding it hard to pray, then try using communication styles that work, not for me, not for your pastor, not for Billy Graham, but ways that work for you. By doing so, prayer becomes a lot more fun.

No comments: