Saturday, December 22, 2007

My Most Memorable Christmas Eve

Once upon a time, in a church not so far away, I was getting ready for our Christmas Eve service. Now this service is probably our best turn out of the year. So I get this mantra in my head, "Everything has to be perfect on Christmas Eve." So I noticed that one of the light bulbs way up in the bell tower was out. No problem. I will just go up there and change the bulb right? Well I was changing the bulb and it shattered in my hands. Ouch! I figured I would just run some water over it, and if it was really bad put on a band aid. Well that didn't work. It was still gushing. So I called Heather. She was like, "What did you do?" So we wrapped it up in a bunch of paper towels, then continued to get everything ready. Back downstairs, more paper towels, still bleeding. More paper towels. Begin the service, all wrapped with paper towels. Beth was singing a song, I went back down and wrapped more towels around me. Back up stairs. Preached with my hand up in the air. (maybe a little distracting). Got to the candle lighting part, lit one person's candle and my hand started gushing again. Grab some paper towels from my pocket. wrapped some more around my hand. Then finished the service. Talk to everyone on the way out. Then go to the ER on Christmas Eve. I was not the only one there. In fact I think we had to wait like 2 hours. They finally get to me. Looked around to see if there was any glass in there, ouch! Then stitched me up. Get out of the ER at like 11:30 and start heading to Connecticut, to spend Christmas at Heather's parents house. After all it was only 500 miles away. By the way it was snowing, and not just a little. Major snow! So after like 3 hours, we only made it like 60 miles. We found a hotel and went to bed. Got up on Christmas morning and once again headed on our way. Funny, none of the road crews were out on Christmas. We tried for over 4 hours to get somewhere, and we only got like another 60 miles. We heard that they were shutting down the interstate. So we gave up. Ate Christmas dinner at a truck stop, and spent Christmas day in a hotel room with no decorations. Finally on the 26th we were able to arrive at our destination. Exhausted, and with stitches.
I laugh at it now. I think back to it and can't stop laughing. On my pinkie, where I got the stitches, I touch it and it still tingles. Just thought I would share my story with all of you out there. I hope you got a laugh out of it.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Ugh, I remember that year! I was so excited when you guys finally got to our house!!!!