Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Coach or Commentator?

Being that it is the end of the regular season in the NFL, there is a lot of talk about retirement. Who is going to call it quits, who is going to come back for one more year? Stuff like that. And then when someone does decide to retire, the question is always asked; What next?
Now it seems to me that 99% of the retiring NFL players have one of two possibilities. They either say "I want to coach" or "I am looking to become a commentator." Now, when I hear that, I always hope people will choose to be a coach. And I asked myself recently, why? Why do I want them to be a coach more then a commentator?
So I thought about it some more, and I finally understand why I think that.
A commentator's job is to commentate. They are to report what you did well or more often what you did bad. A coach job is to make you the best that you can be. A coach sees what you did good and what you did bad, then works with you to try to improve anything and everything that you can.
Now check this out. As a person whose deepest concern is to bring people closer to Christ, I can tell you what you are doing good or bad; or I could work with you to help improve anything and everything that you can improve.
Now that sounds much closer to what Jesus had in his mind when he said "Go and Make Disciples."
As a little encouragement, I know that there are many different styles of coaches in the NFL. Good! There are also different styles when it comes to making disciples. Good!
Rather than point out the problem, be part of the solution. Criticize by creating.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Excellent blog! Loved your thought process. You make a great coach, Dan.