Thursday, January 24, 2008

What is on my mind

That would be Philippians 4:8. A fairly popular verse. You've probably heard it a bunch of times:
" And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." (New Living Translation)

Here is the part that stuck out in my mind today during my nice two mile run. Most of the time when we hear that verse with think of the negative side of it. meaning that we should not focus on "bad" things. We should not focus on "sinful" things. Garbage in, Garbage out type of deal.

Now that is all true, and really that is an acceptable understanding. But stopping there is a mistake. If the negative side is there, so too should be the positive. Why not focus on the "positive" things that occurr? Why not let your mind be filled with the good things?

I am getting ready for our church's annual meeting on Sunday, and I did think of some positive things that happened this year. Then I wrote them down. I know I am going to forget some of them. It is tough for me to remember everything, but I came up with a couple of "good," a couple of "excellent," a couple "worthy of praise." Ok, maybe a little more than a couple. I came up with 100. This only took me maybe two hours (understand I had to reminisce and replay the "win" in my mind, which also led to having to tell God "thanks" a bunch of times). So if you want to see the list of 100 wins, or a 100 things that fit under the positive side of Phil 4:8, come to Bakerstown Alliance Church on Sunday. It will be, well....legendary!

1 comment:

Patty said...

That verse was on the very first card Jon bought me, before I knew I was in love with him. So, that verse brings happy/pleasant thoughts to me!!