Wednesday, January 16, 2008

When the Phone Rings

I answered the phone today and it was the local funeral home. That is never good. A dear sweet lady in the church had passed away. Growing up as a PK (pastor's kid) you are exposed to a lot of deaths. I think for a while in my life I was pretty much immune to the pain of death. I don't know why but it is getting harder to deal with. It makes you appreciate life a little bit more. It makes you take a harder look at the big picture.

I have had some people in my life tell me that I have to keep the people in my church "at a distance" and to "guard my heart." Well, I will never be able to do that. I will never want to do that. I will put my whole heart into it. Will it cause pain sometimes? You better believe it. But is there an option?


So the rest of the week, only by the grace of God, I will try to provide comfort, support, and most importantly Christ to the friends and family. Meanwhile, I will miss this great lady.

No comments: