Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Dan the Running Man

It has officially begun. I am starting to run again. So it has only been 2 days. I tell you what. I have already realized a couple of things:

1. I totally forgot how good it feels to run. Just to have every muscle aching and you can't breathe -- boy what a feeling
2. I also forgot about how running has always helped clear me up. It is really good at getting rid of colds for me. Which is good right about now.
3. I'm starting to think that the cold that I have been dealing with for about a month might be something like bronchitis. Man I sound a little "wheezy" when I am running
4. I am out of shape! Once upon a time there was a guy named Dan who would call a 3 mile run a walk in the park. Now that same guy thinks a 30 feet run is pushing it (ok not quite that bad)

Right now I probably could do a 5k. If I were to totally try and kill myself I think I could finish a 10k and be totally wiped out. You may recall my little running guy in the background of this blog that was supposed to announce my training for a marathon. My original plan was to begin training in the fall and run a marathon in the spring.
Well, I knew Samuel was going to be born in a week or two and it just wasn't realistic at the time. So now I am going to try and run about 4 times a week, get in shape, and go from there.
Obviously my BHAG (big hairy audacious goal) is to run a marathon. I have wanted to do that since I was in 6th grade, and I still want to. Now I am tyring to set for myself some in between goals. Basically work up to a marathon. Something like a 5K then a 10K then a 1/2 Marathon then the big daddy. So what I have to do now is to create a schedule where I can reach those goals.
If you have any suggestions let me know.

No comments: