Sunday, January 4, 2009

Frozen Pipes

When we got home yesterday, Heather started to fill up the bath tub to give the boys a bath. Shortly thereafter, we find out that there is no more water. Look at it real quick and realize that the pipes are frozen. Quickly, I go to the source of the problem. I remove the cover over the pipes and rest it against the wall. I then get a blanket on put it over the cover and make a little tent. Next, step is to get the portable electric heaters and the blow dryer. Now I kept my eye on it, and would occasionally feel inside the "tent." Wow! It was pretty warm in there. After about 10 minutes, I kicked the pump on, and you hear these little chunks of ice going through. Fortunately no broken pipes. And everything worked fine after that.
Now rest assured this is not the first time this has happened. The first time I had no clue what to do. I had to call my dad to ask him what to do. This time (#5) I did it in about 15 minutes start to finish.
What I find funny is when Isaiah or Samuel grow up and have their own home, I know what is going to happen. They are going to call me and ask me what to do. And of course I will tell them.

1 comment:

Fran said...

We have the same problem and we bought a heat tape to wrap the pipes in and haven't had a problem since. If you can get to your pipes this is a great investment from your local hardware store. All you do is wrap your pipes with it and plug it in.