Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Spirtual Depth of a Two-Year-Old

On our way to Subway to pick up dinner, Isaiah and I had a great spiritual in depth conversation. My son is obsessed with trains. He has like 400 of them. So I asked him, "Do you think you should give some of your trains to another little boy that might need them?" He reaction was great. Of course you expect "adults" to say something like "yeah I should do that" and not do anything about it. For some reason Isaiah thought I was talking about getting rid of all his trains. He started to pout. (very cute). I had to explain to him that I was only talking about giving away some of them to other people did not have any. Then he said something that I had a hard time responding to "Oh it is OK Dad, God will give them trains." How do you respond to that? So I talked to him about giving a couple trains, I think he decided it would be OK.
Looking forward to many more of these conversations. Scared to death I will fail. Love him and God too much to not to do it. Loving this father stuff.

1 comment:

Shari said...

When my niece was still little (she's 14 now) and had accumulated waaaay too many toys, my sister made her sort out the ones she could stand to part with and then they loaded them up and went to Children's Hospital. My niece went around giving all the kids in the hospital her toys, and once she saw how happy it made them, it made her feel good for having done it. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for and they want to make others happy if given the chance. Good for Isaiah for being willing to part with some of his trains. I know what it's like to have a 2-year old obsessed with Thomas. :)