Saturday, May 3, 2008

There is a reason I do crazy things

Several years ago I wrote a sermon called "The Power of Prayer." Basically I can sum it up for you: 1) Prayer is powerful and 2) We should all pray more. Now there is nothing wrong with that. I believe both of those statements. The problem is it never went far enough, it never answered the question "now what?" So I have been on a mission for the last three or four years or so. My mission has been never to leave that "now what" question unanswered.
That has lead to some pretty weird things. This has led to me going home for lunch during the week and asking Heather, "Could you count out 50 mustard seeds?" Or "Could you make 50 boxes out of poster board?" "Do you know where we could get a bunch of jelly beans from?" "Do you know where the tent is?" One of my favorite things we did is we were talking about giving God our very best. Again everyone agrees we should give God our best. But what I did was give everyone a 2nd place ribbon. Second place is not too bad right? Then if they were really serious about giving God their best, they could come up front and exchange their 2nd place ribbon with a 1st place ribbon.
Now I am not doing this to be cool. I am not doing this to be creative, edgy, or anything like that. I do these things to help people remember, and to answer the question "now what?"
Doing this takes a lot of work. But if it helps people grow closer to Christ, why not? Whatever it takes to help people grow closer to God, I am willing to do it.
By the way, I heard something about a river in the worship center. I wonder what that is about?

No comments: