Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Just once I would like a normal mowing

Well, I can say I did not get my mower stuck this time and didn't have to lift it again causing my back to be in a lot of pain for a week. So that is the good news.
But here is how yesterday all went down. I started mowing at about 10:00. It was incredible. The tractor started right up. I had enough gas. Life was good. I was mowing like crazy. Getting places that I have never gotten before. There are no longer any bees nests. That was nice. Just having a good time. And then (never good when there is a "and then") the blade breaks! Well that shouldn't be too bad right? So I headed out to Lowe's and found the blade set and the single blade. I pondered to myself, and finally decided to go with the two blades. I got home and ate lunch, went back outside and started to install the blade. Well the one side came off pretty easily, and I looked at the non-broken blade and could see a big crack in it. So at this point I am feeling pretty good about myself. Then comes the other side. Now that did not go easy. I tried this, and that, and nothing was working. All I was doing was skinning my knuckles and rounding the bolt. So I went to my dad's house, and got a 7/8" socket. Got back, put it on, bingo. No problem. So next I put the two new blades on, again, no problem. I'm thinking at this point "I'm the man." I started it up. It started real easy. Turn the blades on. YIKES! There was this awful metal hitting metal sound. I turned everything off and looked at it. It turns out that I had bent the deck which is more than likely what caused the blade to break. So I begsn to tug and pull on it and finally there was no rubbing. I started to mow again, making it about 15' and that awful sound comes back. So I tugged and pulled a little more. I think I just made it worse. I took it back down by the basement (where all my tools are), messed with it some more and it is not doing anything. I can not get it. Finally I get serious. I get the saber saw out. Next thing you know I am cutting the mower deck with my saber saw so that I can bend it out so it doesn't rub so I can finish mowing the grass (which I only have about 10 minutes worth of mowing left). Well fortunately that worked, so off to mowing I went. Now somewhere along the line, I attempted to "re-level" the deck. Somehow my 4 that I used to mow with is now a 6, but it is not like I noticed right away. I'm out there mowing at level 4 and dust is going everywhere. it was crazy. Anyhow, I did finish, and I am still alive. But it did take me 'til 5:00 p.m. Only 7 hours. (ugh)
No, there is not a deep, profound spiritual application to all of this. I share just to let you know. But for the fun of it, your mission, should you choose to accepted it, is to find the spiritual application to this story. So let me know.

1 comment:

HB said...

Maybe the mower is your lion...