Wednesday, October 24, 2007

An Update on Saying "No"

A couple of months ago I told you how I used telemarketers to practice saying "no." Before I did this, I would just hang up on them, which got rid of them but basically was a waste of time. Now in my effort to maximize efficiency (doesn't that sound impressive) I use them for a learning experience in saying "no."
So a couple of minutes ago, a lady from the Symphony called me and asked if I would be purchasing any symphony tickets this year (last year we got a great deal on a 7 show package, and had a wonderful time I might add). This year, we are not going to do it, mostly because of the 2nd child on his/her way (still don't know which one). So when she asked me if I was going to come this year I flat out said "no" with no uncertainty in my voice. When she regained her composure (guess she did not expect that honest of an answer) she asked a logical follow up question "why not." So I explained we are having another kid and just not in the situation to do it this year. While she would have loved to sell me those tickets, I could tell that she accepted my refusal and explanation and then went on to the next call.
For what it is worth, the Pittsburgh Symphony is a great deal and great fun, and I know they still have seats available. There is no such thing as a bad seat at Heinz Hall. Why not take in a show?

No comments: