Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Jerry, Oprah and the meaning of life

I kinda feel ashamed to mentioned this, but yesterday I was watching Oprah. Granted, I am not a big Oprah fan, but she had Jerry Seinfeld on the show. I like Jerry. Now of course Jerry is busy pushing his new "Bee" movie. (by the way I am totally going to see that). But as they were talking, they mentioned Jerry's wife. He talked about how much he loves her and stuff like that. But something interesting came out. Jerry said, "You know, people are always complaining about work." He went on to say that marriage does take work, but who cares? I love that perspective. We turn to many things in to that dreaded four letter word "work." We make going the bathroom "work." Taking a walk, work. We call all these things work, and we make work bad. But can work can be good? It is my joy and privilege to have a person as wonderful as Heather in my life. I enjoy the time that we have together. My favorite thing to do is to go home and see her. Now in order to keep that enjoyment going, I guess I have to "work" at it. Who cares? "Raising a son is a lot of work." Again, who cares? I get the joy of investing my time and energy into someone I love. Maybe it is just perspective. Maybe I am just crazy.

No comments: