Wednesday, October 17, 2007

What I know about being a Father

(honestly this post should not have anything in it, because I think that is the true extent of my knowledge)
I was reading Mark Batterson's blog this morning, and this one paragraph made complete sense and caused me to laugh (any time you combine those two, you have done a great job). It was in reference to three goals that Mark made with his son for the year. If they do all the three goals then there will be a special pilgrimage. But in my mind it basically boils down to this:

Honestly, I don't really know what I'm doing! I just figure that if we sweat together,
talk together, and pray together we'll probably grow close together! Sure, I have a plan.
But I'm not sure what this will look like six weeks or six months from now. One thing is
sure: I'm not going to let our culture raise my son! I'm determined to disciple him myself!

For me that sums up my view of what it is to be a father. Mark really doesn't have a clue what he is doing, nor does any father or mother. But it is the determination to spend time with his son, and invest himself.
That is what I want to make sure that I do with our kid(s) (by the way 3 weeks to the due date for those of you keeping score at home). No I don't know how to do this or that, and there isn't a 5 step plan for perfect child raising. But I am going to give it my all and chase the lion.

No comments: