Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Economy and Families

As the economy was tanking, I knew certain things were going to happen at the Lighthouse. I anticipated more calls, more people needing help, and having to work even harder to find funding. Those things I expected. I was ready for them at least mentally.
But there was something that I was not prepared for: a number of marriages falling apart. I guess this was just an oversight on my part. The reason this is happening is when finances are not good, that puts a lot of stress on a marriage. That stress leads to marriages falling apart.
For example, about two weeks ago I was talking to a lady today who brought her car into our Wheels of Work program to be checked over. We looked at it, and the car was beyond repair. The cost to fix the car exceeded the value of the vehicle. I received a phone call from her today. She was wondering if we had a vehicle available. Unfortunately with new car sales down, the amount of people donating their old car is down as well. With less donated cars, we have less cars available. Because of this ordeal there was a lot of arguing and fighting, and now this couple is separated.
I am not sitting here blaming myself or anyone else. It is just a sad reality. I am hoping and praying for the family and the countless other families who are going/will be going through stuff like this. I will do my best to preserve the family.

1 comment:

Blake said...

It is sad how often money destroys relationships.