Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What my kids teach me about God

This is a true story. Yesterday I stopped by my parents house for a second. I was doing something and was not watching Samuel for about 2 minutes. When I turned around he was soaked head to toe. Ahh!!!!! Somehow he managed to dump a whole can of coke on himself. So we loaded up and went home and straight to the bath. While I was getting the water ready, I turned my head for a second (You think I would have learned huh?) and I then felt this warm spot on my leg. It was all over me. Yes folks, he peed on me! I know that is gross. But it was at that moment that I could not be mad at him, I had to get over it. I could not stay upset. I had to be a dad.
This morning, Isaiah woke up early. I was hoping to sleep in a little bit. But as soon as he got up I asked him if he could go down stairs and watch a video. He at first said no, and told me what he was going to do. I told him "go down stairs." He was down stairs for a while came up. I told him go back down stairs. He headed right towards Samuel's room, while Sam was still sleeping. I quickly grab him and put him in time out. After that it was time for breakfast. When we were eating, I realized that I needed to get over his bad attitude. I realized it was time to forgive and forget. So we ate breakfast together and just had a lot of fun.
Now what I have come to realize is my short comings. My faults of getting upset real easy. I have had to learn how to forgive and forget, quickly! Now, our heavenly Father has to deal with this on a much larger level. My kid pees on me and I get upset. How much more have I done myself to God our Father?
So as I am learning about being a father, it is adding to my understanding of God my Father. Wow! The stuff we put him through, the fact that He forgives, that just blows my mind!

No comments: