Saturday, December 20, 2008

Ringing the Bell

Yesterday I had the opportunity to ring the bell for the Salvation Army. It is something I grew up doing. Luckily for me it was quite pleasant outside. Well I was ringing I had a couple of thoughts I would like to share:
  • The Salvation Army has a great reputation. I want that for the Lighthouse. We are getting there. Considering it has only been 23 years we are not doing bad at all.
  • Please if you see someone ringing the bell, at least say "Hi." It was quite interesting at the people who would not even look at me.
  • I love being out there with a bell saying "please, help." It is quite humbling on one hand. However it is quite energizing on the other hand. You have people saying "yeah I want to help with those who need help." To me, that tells me there are still some outstanding people in this country.
  • I heard a little 3 or 4 year old ask his mom "Is that guy Santa?" True I did have a red apron on, but come on. My hair is not totally gray or white (yet). And I really hope my belly is not that big. Made me laugh for like 5 minutes straight
  • I was having a whole theological debate with myself about giving. Matthew 6:3 about not letting your right hand know...
  • I was realizing the value of your kids see you giving. Sure you can let them put it in. But when your kid sees you giving (or giving him money to put in) you are teaching them to be charitable.
  • Hey guys, check this out. Giving when you are with your girlfriend...yeah that will give you bonus points. Chicks dig it!

So if you ever get the opportunity (and you can contact me and I will find an opportunity for you) to ring the bell, do it. Good way to spend the Christmas season.

1 comment:

Shari said...

Didn't you know if they make eye contact with you, you might suck their spare change right out of their pockets?
The other day, Connor told the Salvation Army bell ringer at Walmart "Merry Christmas!" It was so cute.