Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Things that I learned at Edinboro (Part 2)

This one I learned from the campers. Working with 14 and 15 years olds is a blast. These kids were amazing. I watched them worship God. That was great. They would be doing some of the goofiest things. But they did not care. They were worshiping God. I got to be Mr. Powerpoint operator, well I was doing that I could look around and see them worshiping God. I admit a lot of times I laughed. It was too funny not to laugh.
That got me thinking. When did we lose laughter and joy in the church? Now I have to be careful here. I know the "holy laughter movement" and stuff is out there. But I am not talking about that. I am just talking about serving God, worshiping God, with a smile on your face. I am talking about taking the time to just enjoy life.
Having been around enough pastors in my life, I feel we are missing this level of fun. Now being a pastor, I can tell you there are many things that happen that can cause that joy, that love of life, that laughter, to disappear in a heart beat. So I certainly do understand that part of things too.
But if we could just get a hold of that joy, laughter, dare I say fun; how great would that be? Serving God is not easy, I will never say it is. But serving God should bring a smile to your face at least some of the time.

No comments: