Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Where's your line?

I've been thinking about this for a while. I want you to think about where is your line. Where is the line that you will not cross to help someone out, the line that you are unwilling to cross to tell someone else about Jesus.

Now I know what you are sitting here and thinking. "Of course there are no lines, of course I will help anyone out." OK, then let me ask you some questions:
  • What if the person had a different color of skin?
  • What if the person did not look like the rest of the people in church?
  • What if the person reeked of beer?
  • What if the person was a known druggie?
  • What if the person smoked?
  • What if the person dressed like a loser?
  • What if the person had a "potty mouth"?
  • What if the person hurt you before?
  • What if the person has a habit of hurting you over and over?
  • What if the person has never thanked you any of the 3209323 times you helped them out?

I think you are getting the point. The sad part is we often easily see other people flaws and never remember our own. Why do we think that we should get "God's grace" and other people shouldn't? Why do we think that we did something special that we should be able to receive God's grace?

When you get down to it, you realize that God sees all sins as sins. He does not have a "rating scale," you know, you get 10 points for murder, but only 1 for gossip. God does not do that. A sin is a sin.

Can we get to that place where we see people how God sees people? I hope we can. I know we should try.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Having similar thought lately about our "borders". We pray the Prayer of Jabez, "Enlarge my territory". But are we truly willing to have our territory enlarged? When it may mean we have to take off the rubber gloves and get a little dirty? I've been challenged with this lately with a certain situation! As I'm sure you know...