Tuesday, October 14, 2008

How much Is $18?

Today I had to get the propane tank filled. I had been putting it off for some unknown reason. But wanted to cook some kielbasa on the grill, so I got the tank filled. Now the total cost to get a tank filled is $20.32. No problem right? So I scanned my card, entered my pin, everything worked great. I was walking out and I actually glanced at my receipt. Turns out I only paid $2.32. Somehow the "0" did not get punched in. At this point I had a choice. And let me be honest with all of you, I did debate it with myself. The choice between celebrating, or telling someone. Ouch. $18. I could use $18. I am sure all of you out there could use $18. But however, I thought about the cashier who could get in trouble. I thought about all the times I have talked about honesty. I knew what I had to do. Now I did not like spending the $18, but I feel good about it.
Listen, I am not trying to make myself out to be this great super hero or anything like that. I know times are tough. I know the economics in the country have all of us worried. But choose to follow God, choose to trust God, and it will work out.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Isaak did the same thing at Home Depot the other day. They had undercharged him $4.45. He drove all the way back down there to tell them and have them fix it.

Anonymous said...

At work yesterday I went to the front office to get change. The fellow in the office gave me WAY too much change back. I always count it before I walk away from the window. I counted it twice to be sure and handed the extra back. He said thanks for being honest...I smiled and said, "I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I didn't return it." I, too, have returned to stores (sometimes months later) to pay for items for which I still owed money. =-) I have gotten weird looks and thanks yous. Worth it to me!!!