Monday, October 27, 2008

Fire at Blanchard House

Right as we were finishing a weekly staff meeting at the Lighthouse, we get a call. This is not the call you want to get. Blanchard house (our transitional house for 18-21 years old girls) is on fire. We all went quickly to the house in Butler, and sure enough it was on fire.


First thing we do is make sure everyone is alright. They are! That was the first and foremost concern. No one got hurt. Praise the Lord!


I also must say that the City of Butler Fire Company did a wonderful job. They responded quickly and kept the damage to a minimum. Thank you Butler Fire Company!


I am overwhelmed at the support that has already come in. As soon as the word of the fire spread, we had people calling and asking how they could help. I am overwhelmed by the compassion of our supporters.


I am truly amazed at our staff. To give you two examples:


  1. Our cook (or should I say "Director of Food Services") was not working today. However as soon as she heard, she was at the Lighthouse cooking homemade lasagna for all the girls. Boy did that smell good! Thanks Bobbi


  2. When our Resident Manager was allowed in the house, her first thoughts were, "How are the girls? What can we do for them? How can we help them?" What is amazing to me about that is all her "stuff" was in the house. She was not concerned about all of that, she was worried about the girls. When we told her we had some people gathering up clothes her reaction was, "Don't worry about me, let's make sure the girls are taken care of first."

Wow! Eventful day to say the least. We are working through all the insurance and everything right now. I am asking all of you out there in the blogsphere to pray for the girls of Blanchard House. This is going to be tough on them. They need your support. I also ask you to pray for the Lighthouse as we plan our course of action. Thank you so much!

1 comment:

Shari said...

What is still needed? I didn't have any clothes left in the sizes they were looking for, but I could send money if that helps. Let me know. Drop me an email.