Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How my Dad became so smart

Tonight I was trying to fix my sons bike. Simple problem I thought. The tires were flat. So I thought I could put the air compressor on and have it going in like 5 minutes. Turns out the inner tubes are shot. So I have to replace them. When I was growing up, I thought my dad could fix any thing. Now I am a dad, I realize that out of necessity, I have to learn how to fix everything. So I became the person who can fix a toilet or a bike or patch a whole in the wall. Not necessarily because I am smart or talented, I do because I have to.
Yes I still call my dad for the "how do you fix that questions" or the "what do you think if I ..." And I hope someday that my kids will call and say "Dad, how do you fix..." Then I will tell them. I might chuckle when I realize that I asked my dad the same questions.

No comments: