Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A God idea

I will easily admit I have had tons of bad ideas over the years. Some of my ideas are just plain awful. Then there are the good ideas. These are the ones that leave me saying "that was good" or "that was nice." The good ideas aren't bad but they are not great.

Then there are the God ideas. These are the ones that didn't come from me. God ideas are better then any of my good ideas could ever be.

The other week Mark Batterson was asking about modern day altar calls and wondering what works. So being prompted by the Holy Spirit I wrote:

"Call me crazy, I know I might get myself in trouble here. We know that everyone has a phone in their pocket or purse. Use it! Why not have people TXT a message to a number. Then you have a commitment and contact info to follow up."

Didn't think much of it. Thought it was just one of those things that I was throwing out there. Then I check my email today and someone left a comment on my blog:

"I had the rare opportunity to preach on Sunday morning this past week (I'm a college pastor), and I spoke to about 650 people about experiencing God. I tried your idea, put my number on the screen, and received 48 texts in response! Some people wanted to experience God for the first time, some had not had an experience with Him in a long time and wanted to pursue it again, and some just wanted to encourage me as a guest speaker. I have the whole church staff helping with the follow up! Brilliant idea! Now, our church is talking about buying a designated cell phone to facilitate similar response times in the future."

Wow who would have thought it. With that being said, why not? Why not use whatever you have to advance the Kingdom of God? From what I have heard, people are now breaking up with their boyfriend/girlfriend via texting (good to be married). So instead of breaking up a relationship why not use a text to restore a relationship, a relationship with the creator of the world?

2 comments:

B.W. said...

new community church has a number that you text questions to during the sermon and then the pastor answers the questions at the end... i think they may just do it for the sunday night service.

Blake said...

That's a great God story Dan