Monday, November 19, 2007

He Plunged Me To Victory?


The other day I was thinking about some of the words in the famous song "Victory In Jesus." The song always made sense in my mind. But then I thought about the part where it says "He plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood." Ok. It is that word "plunged." Be honest with me people. When is the last time you used the word "plunged." If you are like me it was in reference to a clogged toilet that you had to plunge. Honey, I had to plunge the toilet today. So what does plunging and victory in Jesus have to do with each other?
I will share my first thought with you (a thought that I now know is not correct). I was thinking ok, plunge me beneath the cleansing flood...Ok Jesus pushes us through and that gives us the victory. Kinda gross but hey maybe?
Well then I looked up the word plunged. I found out there are eight different definitions for the verb form of plunged. The third definition was "To put something quickly in something." Going with that one; Christ quickly got us the victory. That is pretty cool.

Now the point of all of this is just to challenge you to think about the words you sing. To not just sing them but to know what they mean.

My second challenge (not seriously) is for you to come up with your own translation of "plunged me to victory." Have fun!

1 comment:

B.W. said...

that's so funny because at practice i kept feeling like i was singing "plunged" weird, but then i just realized that it is just a weird word to sing!