Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memoiral day done right

Yesterday, was a great day. I know I already mentioned the Nascar race stopping to honor Memorial Day. But also in the morning, we celebrated Memorial Day with 500 of our friends. Every year the local American Legion puts on a celebration in the park. Wow! It is so simplistically complicated and raw. They don't bring in some big name speaker or anything like that. They have ordinary people talking about this great country. I know it is done in other places, but one of the things that always moves me is when they have the family members of those who have passed away in the past year put a flower on a wreath. I love the honor for the family. I have never liked the 21 gun salute. But I am now glad that I don't like the gun salute. I understand that I am not supposed to like it. I also don't really enjoy taps being played. Again I understand, I get it, and I don't have to like it. I am glad it makes me uncomfortable.
Being at that great park, with great people, celebrating this great country...that's Memorial Day!

No comments: